Train Zurich - Bern prices from $0.32
Zurich to Bern by train
The journey from Zurich to Bern by train is 59.39 mi and takes 1 hr 14 min. There are 125 connections per day, with the first departure at 12:02 AM and the last at 11:45 PM. It is possible to travel from Zurich to Bern by train for as little as $0.32 or as much as $63.94. The best price for this journey is $0.32.
|1 hr 14 min
|Connection per Day
|Schweizerische Bundesbahnen, SBB
Zurich to Bern Train Times
Traveling from Zurich to Bern by Train
Embarking on a train journey from Zurich, Switzerland's largest city known for its global finance and vibrant culture, to Bern, the charming capital with its medieval cityscape and relaxed pace, offers a delightful experience. This route, covering a relatively short distance, typically takes around 1 hr 14 min. Swiss Federal Railways (SBB) provides frequent and efficient services on this route, ensuring a comfortable and scenic journey. With multiple 125 departures daily, travelers can choose a schedule that best suits their plans. To secure the most economical fares, often as low as $0.32, booking in advance is recommended. Passengers are advised to arrive at the station at least 30 minutes before departure for a smooth boarding process.
SBB's trains offer a range of classes and amenities to cater to different preferences and budgets. The standard class features comfortable seating, ample legroom, and power outlets for leisure and business travelers. First-class compartments provide additional comforts such as more spacious seating, quieter environments, and often complimentary refreshments. Many trains are equipped with free Wi-Fi, allowing passengers to stay connected throughout their journey. The large windows in the carriages allow passengers to enjoy the stunning Swiss landscapes, including serene lakes, rolling hills, and picturesque villages.
The journey starts at Zurich Hauptbahnhof (Zurich HB), one of Europe's major railway stations, conveniently situated for exploring Zurich's renowned sites, such as the Bahnhofstrasse, the Old Town, and Lake Zurich. Upon arrival in Bern, passengers disembark at Bern Railway Station, centrally located and convenient for exploring the city's attractions, such as the Zytglogge clock tower, the Federal Palace, and Bear Park.
Things to Do in Bern:
- Explore the UNESCO World Heritage-listed Old Town, with its historic buildings and charming streets.
- Visit the Zytglogge, an iconic medieval clock tower with an astronomical clock.
- Stroll through the Rose Garden for a panoramic view of the city and the Bernese Alps.
- Discover the Bern Bear Park, home to a family of bears, a city symbol.
- Admire the Federal Palace (Bundeshaus), the seat of Switzerland's government.
- Enjoy the art collections at the Bern Museum of Art (Kunstmuseum Bern).
- Walk along the Aare River and enjoy the beautiful riverside scenery.
- Visit the Einstein House, where Albert Einstein lived while working at the patent office.
- Explore the Bern Historical Museum, the second-largest historical museum in Switzerland.
- Attend a performance at the Bern Theatre or explore the city's vibrant cultural scene.
What to Eat in Bern:
- Rösti: A Swiss potato dish, often served as a side or with toppings like cheese or eggs.
- Fondue: A classic Swiss dish of melted cheese served with bread for dipping.
- Swiss Chocolate: Bern offers a variety of artisanal chocolate shops and tours.
- Lebkuchen: A traditional Swiss gingerbread often found in local bakeries.
- Bernese Platter: A hearty dish featuring various meats, sausages, and sauerkraut.
- Meringue with Double Cream: A sweet treat from the nearby Gruyère region.
- Älplermagronen: A Swiss version of macaroni and cheese with potatoes and onions.
- Zürcher Geschnetzeltes: Thinly sliced veal in a creamy mushroom sauce, a Swiss favorite.
- Swiss Wines: Bern is close to several wine regions, offering a chance to taste local varieties.
- Birchermüesli: A healthy Swiss breakfast dish made with oats, fruits, and yogurt.
Day Trips from Bern:
Bern's central location in Switzerland makes it an excellent base for exploring nearby attractions:
- Thun: A picturesque town with a historic castle and beautiful lake views.
- Gruyères: Famous for its cheese, medieval village, and the HR Giger Museum.
- Interlaken: A gateway to the Jungfrau region, offering outdoor activities and stunning alpine scenery.
- Lake Geneva: Explore the cities and towns along this picturesque lake, including Lausanne and Montreux.
- Lucerne: Known for its preserved medieval architecture and the nearby Mount Pilatus.
- Neuchâtel is a lakeside town with a charming old town and castle.
- Jungfraujoch: The "Top of Europe," accessible by a scenic train journey.
- Lauterbrunnen Valley: Known for its waterfalls and as a base for exploring the Bernese Oberland.
- Emmental: The region where the famous Emmental cheese is produced, with rolling hills and traditional farms.
- Zermatt: Home to the Matterhorn and a popular destination for skiing and hiking.
Travel Tips for Bern:
When visiting Bern, exploring the city's compact center on foot or by bicycle is advisable, as it offers a more intimate experience of the historic streets and landmarks. The city's public transportation system, including trams and buses, is also efficient for longer distances. Bern experiences a temperate climate, with warm summers and cold winters, so dressing in layers is recommended. The city's culinary scene offers a delightful mix of traditional Swiss cuisine and international flavors. Bern is also known for its cultural offerings, including museums, galleries, and theaters. For a unique view of the city, consider visiting the Gurten, a hill offering panoramic views of Bern and the surrounding Alps. Lastly, while Bern is a multilingual city, knowing a few basic phrases in German can enhance your interactions with locals and enrich your travel experience.
For those eager to explore Switzerland's rich history and picturesque landscapes, a train journey from Zurich to Bern is an excellent choice. With its comfortable amenities, scenic views, and convenient services, it's an ideal way to experience the unique character of these two Swiss cities. Virail can assist in finding the best travel deals for your journey.
Compare prices and tickets from Zurich to Bern
Book in advance and save
If you're looking for the best deal for your trip from Zurich to Bern, booking train tickets in advance is a great way to save money, but keep in mind that advance tickets are usually not available until 3 months before your travel date.
Stay flexible with your travel time and explore off-peak journeys
Planning your trips around off-peak travel times not only means that you'll be able to avoid the crowds, but can also end up saving you money. Being flexible with your schedule and considering alternative routes or times will significantly impact the amount of money you spend on getting from Zurich to Bern.
Always check special offers
Checking on the latest deals can help save a lot of money, making it worth taking the time to browse and compare prices. So make sure you get the best deal on your ticket and take advantage of special fares for children, youth and seniors as well as discounts for groups.
Unlock the potential of slower trains or connecting trains
If you're planning a trip with some flexible time, why not opt for the scenic route? Taking slower trains or connecting trains that make more stops may save you money on your ticket – definitely worth considering if it fits in your schedule.
Virail Pro Tip ✌: Booking 10 days in advance save 10% on average
Price as departure date approaches
Train companies may charge higher ticket prices as the date of departure approaches. Prices in the next days can range from around $14.56 to $38.79 but may be subject to change. Our advice is to book as early as possible to potentially save up to 62% on your trip!
Best time to book cheap train tickets from Zurich to Bern
The cheapest Zurich - Bern train tickets can be found for as low as $26.36 if you’re lucky, or $31.79 on average. The most expensive ticket can cost as much as $45.78.
Find the best day to travel to Bern by train
When travelling to Bern by train, if you want to avoid crowds you can check how frequently our customers are travelling in the next 30-days using the graph below. On average, the peak hours to travel are between 6:30am and 9am in the morning, or between 4pm and 7pm in the evening. Please keep this in mind when travelling to your point of departure as you may need some extra time to arrive, particularly in big cities!
|Food and drink
Zurich to Bern CO2 Emissions by Train
Anything we can improve?