Active center for chemical, mechanical, footwear and clothing, Alessandria was founded in the twelfth century to the time of the Lombard League. The center of the provincial capital is represented by the Liberty Square and the nearby cathedral was renovated between 1810 and 1879. High monument of great interest is Santa Maria di Castello, the oldest church in the city, since it was built in the fifteenth century. In the province of Alessandria famous is the area of ??the Basso Monferrato, an area characterized by rolling hills, mostly devoted to agriculture and known to the public for the production of high quality wines.